Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Yes, I have been Birding...

But this is primarily about my Daughter's recent birding adventures! :-)
Little Katie Rosie is a great observer of the birding scene, more so
than you may even realize. She's 17 Months old now, and went to the
beach this last Sunday for the first time. What a great time! I don't
know if you've ever been to the beach with a small child, but they give
you a whole new perspective. We observed some of the usual beach
birds, peeps, willet, and Brown Pelicans were abundant. Boat Tailed
grackles foraged in the surf. These fascinated little Katie. She
chased them and chased them and chased them until they got tired of it,
and flew way on down the beach, and then, Katie, squealing like a happy
little piglet, ran as fast as she could to get them. We also chased
around a Snowy Egret that was catching minnows in the surf. I actually
got some good video showing that.


Riding has been sporatic. We can't ride Tuesdays and Thursday
because I have school. We went once last week, on Monday, and Today.
I'll try to make it out at least every Mon, Wed, and Fri. There are a
lot more coots now at Hollingsworth than the last time Katie and I rode
out. I guess migration is in full swing for this quaint little water
chicken. Saw some wood storks today, and a ring billed gull. Other
than that it was the usual suspects, Moorhens, Gallinules, Grackles,
White Ibis, an Osprey, limpkin, Great egret, Tri-colored heron, and
blue Jay. Saw an unidentified tern, and a new (for lake
Hollingsworth) Raptor: Red-Shouldered Hawk.
I might try to get out to Carter Road Saturday. My bike needs to be
ridden.
Until then!

GB and KT say to you: "Happy Trails!"


No comments: