Tuesday, January 01, 2019

New Year's Day, with a Royal Touch

What a great start to the year! Even though I went to work, I think I managed to get 46 species so far. I might go outside and see if I can scare up the barred owl that lives behind the house. I'll detail more about that later, first I need to be a little sober and serious. Not all has been well, I did get involved in some shenanigans.
I got out of work a couple hours early, and with wifely blessings went to a local lake where I know Herring Gull has been reported. it's also the sort of place where you can reliable see Caspian and Royal terns. The first Royal tern for this year for me was an injured bird, and this is where the shenanigans begin.
Here it is!

As Seen through my Binoculars
 Poor thing was just laying there on the ground, so I reached out to a local animal rehabilitator and over all cool lady. Despite being out on a call (injured Sandhill Crane in Davenport), she told me to bring the bird by her house where her husband left me a box to put the bird. I dropped it off and eagerly awaited the news for the extent/ cause of injury.
Poor thing has a broken shoulder joint that can't be repaired, so it will be euthanized in the morning at a local vet. These sort of injuries are common with the species and can be caused by hitting something, like a car or another bird.
There was at least one other Royal tern at Lake Parker today, and I saw a Caspian, but this one is a little special you know. I got to hold it, care for it, do it a little good before it returns to the dust from which it came. I'm glad I was there, and it's not feeding a feral cat.
Good Bye Friend
UPDATE:
The bird passed away in the night, asleep, warm and as comfortable as we could make it.